Tuesday 7 October 2014

Dadum's Sick


Yes the title sounds weird given the multiple connotations of the word sick in modern language. But my Dadum is really unwell. And that is making me unwell too.

A month ago Dadum started getting these weekly episodes of nausea and dizziness.  He would wake up early morning for his walk and end up fainting or vomiting before he even set a foot out of the house. We all would try to make him as comfortable as possible. On such days he would invariably depend mostly on electrolyte solutions and biscuits. It was a complete “pain in the ass” time for him. The very second time this happened, he was taken to the hospital for a check. After some scans, drug prescriptions and some walking around the hospitals, the problem subsided.

Today he’s got the issue again. It is supremely frustrating to know that we can’t really help him much other than give some time for the drugs to take their effect.

I have always assumed that I am more immune to the smell of vomit or stool given my incredible scatological sense of humour and my general indifference to these things as compared to others. I wouldn’t assume that anymore. Today when Dadum puked, I really felt disgusted. It doesn’t mean that I am trying to be insensitive. It is just that the reaction was involuntary. I really hope that doesn’t make me an ugly person.

It doesn’t really matter does it? Whether I feel uncomfortable or not, I have to deal with it. My feeling is normal but the being sick is also normal. So I shouldn’t make such a big deal out of it. I really hope he gets fine soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment